Please read the following carefully, then do the work that follows during the summer. If this work is not done during the summer there will be no time for it in the second year of GCSE Geography and you will not be properly prepared for your exams in the subject.
- In some subject areas in Year 10 you have had a basic introduction to the topics, while these were being revised at the same time for Year 11 students. This means we have to fill in some of the units to make sure all aspects of the subject are properly covered.
- Four areas that I want to concentrate on for further development are: Flooding (in Drainage Basins Unit 17); Urbanisation in Developing Countries (Unit 5); Farming (Unit 7); and Industry (Unit 9).
- These topics will be done as summer homework.
- Use the following instructions and complete all of this work to a good standard please.
Flooding (in drainage basins Unit 17)
Case Studies of MEDC and LEDC flooding, pages 288-291. Exercise 7 on p.298
Caser study of Yangtse River / Three Gorges dam, pages 293-295. Exercise 10 on p.299
Urbanisation in Developing Countries (Unit 5)
- In our work on this topic we concentrated largely on Brazil’s favelas but the subject of urbanisation in developing countries is wider than this. Please review the opening pages of this unit p.78-79 “Growth of world cities” and do exercise 1 on page 90.
- Read pages 84-85 about Kolkata and make notes on the problems of developing cities.
- Read the section “Urban land use and functional zones (p.81) and copy Figure 5.10 neatly. Sometimes in an exam the difference between MEDC and LEDC land use patterns may be the subject of a question, so remind yourself about the land use models for MEDCs. (p.42-43)
Farming (Unit 7)
- Pages 106 – 110 read and make notes on this section of the unit we did not complete. Do exercises 5, 6 and 7 on pages 116-117
- Subsistence Farming in the Lower Ganges Valley: case study on pages 112 – 113. Exercise 9 on page 117
Industry (Unit 9)
- Go back over your notes and exercises in the industry unit and identify all missing areas we did not have time to cover. I know we have not completed the full unit but I am not sure which case studies we did not do. Identify the work not done and do any unfinished exercises on pages 157 – 159
IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS SUMMER WORK COMPLETES THE YEAR 10 GEOGRAPHY WORK. IF YOU DO NOT DO IT, YOU MAY BE SHORT ON CASE STUDIES ETC. WHEN YOU COME TO YEAR 11 MOCKS AND FINAL EXAMS.
THESE TOPICS WILL NOT FEATURE AGAIN IN YEAR 11 TEACHING: WE NEED TO HAVE THEM FINISHED BEFORE MOVING INTO YEAR 11 WORK, SO IT IS UP TO YOU TO COMPLETE THIS THOROUGHLY.