Alicante Drought Case Study
This is the most arid territory in mainland Europe and the present conditions are quite extreme. The main rains fall in September and October but last year there was just one day of heavy rain in that period.
Use the following links to explore the topic of drought in Alicante province. Sometimes articles refer to other parts of Spain (as well as Alicante) so take care to ensure your information is specific to Alicante. Open a Word document and make your own notes based on the articles you have read and do NOT copy & paste directly from the Internet.
Introductory materials from web sites:.
2. Jucar river basin pdf file: one of the seven case studies from the eu-drought.org website and a sound basic resource for this study.
3. www.aguayriego.com Article from 8/9/2014 “The water problem in the Valencian Community and Murcia is complicated” www.aguayriego.com/en/2014/09/el-problema-del-agua-en-la-comunidades-valenciana-y-de-murcia-se-complica/
1. Valencia Today 29/5/14: Alicante drought victims to receive government aid. http://valenciatoday.es/alicante-crops-under-threat-from-drought_19912-a.html#.VA_8z_munXR
3. BBC story from 2005 about earlier drought problems: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4086864.stm
Miscellaneous supporting materials:
1. Climate of Alicante in this article: http://om.ciheam.org/om/pdf/a44/02001595.pdf
2. Alicante has oldest dam in Europe. http://www.aguayriego.com/en/2012/03/el-pantano-mas-viejo-de-europa-es-alicantino/
http://www.aguayriego.com Article from 8/9/2014 “The water problem in the Valencian Community and Murcia is complicated” http://www.aguayriego.com/en/2014/09/el-problema-del-agua-en-la-comunidades-valenciana-y-de-murcia-se-complica/
Effect on crops:
Alicante drought history:
BBC story from 2005 about earlier drought problems: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4086864.stm
Read the section on climate of Alicante in this article: http://om.ciheam.org/om/pdf/a44/02001595.pdf
Alicante has oldest dam in Europe. http://www.aguayriego.com/en/2012/03/el-pantano-mas-viejo-de-europa-es-alicantino/
The European Drought Observatory monitors drought and gives regular updates. A PDF document containing the 2014 information on Alicante drought (the bulletin centres more on Murcia but does give useful Alicante drought data) available here: Alicante Drought bulletin 2014.